Miss Becca is too lazy to update this Jelly :).
We're off to the jungle today! Kids will follow jungle vine routes on the climbing wall, practice alternating arms with zebras in the pool, and stretch like a giraffe on the mat.
4/26-5/9/15: Backstroke, Bedtime Yoga & Route Reading
Swimmers will be focusing on backstroke. Classes will look very different for a 2 yr old and an 8 yr old, but everyone will learn age/level appropriate skills.
Climbers will trek through the jungle as they follow taped routes, learn about climbing grades and communicate with partners.
The second portion of our "take yoga home" session will focus on bedtime routines. We'll get our energy out as stomping-sleeping hippos, focus with balance poses, and get grounded with supine poses.
May 2018: Dynamic & Static Movement, Sprints & Sculling.
I've always liked monkeys, but now I know that sloths are fantastic! My procrastination hours were easily filled with baby sloths. I also learned that they swim with a sculling motion that is much faster than movement on land. Good to know!
You can download the Slothy Goodness Take Home Sheet here:
Books & Songs:
Some of the skills we will learn:
Climbers will be practicing safety skills. Everyone will learn age/level appropriate skills. The majority of each class will be spent bouldering
Some of the skills we will work on are:
Yogis will be linking breath to movement while learning brick related poses. Each class will look different and incorporate age appropriate games and poses.
November 2017: Diving, Figure 8 Knots, Walking Meditation
You can download this week's To-Go page below to practice at home:
Swimming, Climbing, and Yoga Classes for Kids in Reno, North Lake Tahoe
Sign up for a Taste of PBJ to check out our programs!
10/18-10/31/15: Breaststroke, Route Reading, and Emotions.
You can download this week's take home page below.
Swimming, Climbing, and Yoga for Kids in Reno, North Lake Tahoe
Sign up for a Taste of PBJ to check out our classes!
- Underwater swimming with forward movement
- Swimming down to retrieve toys with "breaststroke-like" arms
- Concept of Gliding (forward movement while body stays still)
- Elementary Backstroke Kick (similar to breaststroke kick)
- Introduction to frog Kicks
- Learning proper breast stroke Arms
- Combining the pull (arms), breath, kick, and glide in the right order (Timing)
- Breaststroke drills and perfecting technique
- Identifying and using Sloper holds
- Recognizing and climbing on Dihedral walls
- Finding boulder Problems
- Following Taped routes/problems
- Choosing appropriate Grades
- Scare training Poses: cobra, goddess, bow, lunge, squat
- Monster Breath (breath of fire)
- Dealing with difficult Emotions
August, September 2017: Kicks, Footwork, Toega
NO classes 8/19/17-9/9/17.
We'll kick off the fall schedule after the break!
Climbers will be focusing on footwork. The majority of the class will be spent bouldering.
Some of the skills we will work on in order of difficulty are:
- Recognize & Plan Footholds for your climb
- Identify and use small Crimp holds & edges
- Matching feet
- Recognizing Vertical walls
- Cross Through
- Switching feet
- Quiet feet
Yogis will be learning about teamwork, bravery, and friendship with the Pout Pout Fish (click the link for more pout pout activities for home).
June 2017: Quiet Arms, Quiet Feet, Practicing Silence
Yogis and yoginis will take a mini silent retreat. We've been practicing our routine so that we don't need words to know what's coming next. This is a BIG challenge!
We will learn to use the strongest part of our foot and make a plan to use the available footholds.
Swimmers will be focusing on sneaky and intentional alternating arms. In backstroke we'll slice the water with our pinky. In freestyle, we'll enter the water quietly to sneak up on our friends. All students will work on age/level appropriate skills.
Swimmers will be focusing on safety techniques in a controlled environment. This will look different for each level, but every student will do at least one swim without goggles. Since some of these skills are scary or difficult, we will include extra time for fun games.
- Following directions and taking turns
- Swimming without goggles
- Falling into the pool (expected/unexpected)
- Swimming back to the steps/wall
- Remaining in back float even when face gets splashed
- Recovering from a sinking back float
- Treading Water
- Finding back float rests in open water
- Swimming long distances even when tired
Climbers will be practicing safety skills. Everyone will learn age/level appropriate skills. The majority of each class will be spent bouldering.
- Climbing etiquette
- Be Aware games
- Down climbing
- Gymnastic falling technique while bouldering
- Spotting for bouldering
- Choosing appropriate grades
What is a Jelly?
A Jelly is the focus or theme of a class. Each Jelly lasts for 2-4 weeks and spans across the disciplines.
Figure 8 Knot
Pete The Cat
Pull (Swimming Arms)
Sun Salutation A